Domestic abuse - it's happening to me

Domestic violence, also called domestic abuse, can happen to anyone, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. It can include emotional, psychological, physical, financial and sexual abuse in couple relationships (current or previous) or between family members. It can be an individual incident, or a pattern of incidents, but always involves one person having control and power over another. 
If you're worried someone might see you have been on this page, find out how to cover your tracks online.

  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can either contact the LSHTM security team on 555 (internal) or 0207 927 2555 if you are on site or the emergency services on 999 if you are offsite 
  • Find a safe space – if an incident has just happened try and find somewhere you feel safe. If this isn’t possible and you are scared or fearful you can call LSHTM’s security team on 0207 927 2383 or the Emergency services on 999.
  • To a friend – talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
  • Bullying and Harassment Advisors can talk through LSHTM’s procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence. 
  • Mental Health First Aiders can provide immediate mental health support.
  • In an emergency you can report to A&E by calling 999 and requesting an ambulance or report to police by calling 999. There is an option for silent support if talking will put you in danger.
  • If it is not an emergency, you can speak to your GP/healthcare professional or call the police non-emergency number 101 or attend any local police station
  • Report the incident anonymously. You can call crime stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use their online form.
  • Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using LSHTM’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can make a report with contact details. If you choose to report with contact details your submission will be reviewed by the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team who will contact you to talk through the options.   
LSHTM Support for Students 
  • Student Support Services. The team offer confidential and non-judgemental space for students to discuss any issues that may be affecting their ability to study including adjustment to study/and or LSHTM accommodation; special exam arrangements and signposting or direct referrals to further support. SSS can refer students directly to Rape Crisis and Survivors UK for therapeutic support.  In addition, they can provide short term counselling, psychiatric support and group therapy to deal with a range of personal, emotional and psychological concerns. To book an appointment click here 
  • Student Representatives of Council (SRC) Executive. The SRC Executive provide a key link between students and the governing body of LSHTM. They are available to speak to you if you are having any issues. Please contact them on​ 
  • Your tutor. If you are a student you can talk to your tutor. 
  • Extenuating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for extenuating circumstances. Your tutor or Teaching Support Office will be able to provide more information.
  • Mental Health First Aiders – An MHFA can provide immediate mental health support. 
  • Bullying and Harassment Advisors can talk through LSHTM’s procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence. 
LSHTM Support for Staff 
  • Only connect staff counselling service. A trained counsellor can meet with you to discuss any issue and all issues will be treated confidentially. 
  • HR Business Partner. If you are a member of staff or manager your HR business partner will be able to identify the support that’s available to you. 
  • Trade Unions. There are there trade unions that represent staff at LSHTM which are Unison, Unite and UCU. 
  • Mental Health First Aiders – An MHFA can provide immediate mental health support. 
  • Bullying and Harassment Advisors can talk through LSHTM’s procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence. 
  • Employee Assistance Programme -  through the helpline counsellors will provide emotional support, a safe haven and non-judgemental place for an individual to talk about their experience. If further support is needed the counsellor can help with whatever steps are necessary e.g. seeking refuge or legal advice.
Other sources of support
Local support services (Camden, Bloomsbury areas) 
  • Solace Women’s Aid offers advice and support to women and children and safe refuge escaping abuse and violence. Contact them on 0808 802 5565, Monday to Friday, from 10am to 4pm, as well as an additional period on Tuesdays, from 6pm to 8pm.  
  • Mozaic Women’s Well Being Project offers free, confidential and independent support and advice in south London, covering the boroughs of Lewisham, Southwark and Lambeth - 0207 1887710
  • National Domestic Violence helpline. Call 0808 2000 247 for confidential advice 24/7.
  • Victim Support help anyone who has been the victim of a crime. They can support you coping with the after-effects of crime and help with reporting to the police.
  • Refuge provides practical and legal support for all forms of domestic abuse.
  • Next Link. Crisis support and temporary supported housing for women and children experiencing abuse.
  • Women’s Aid. Support for women and children in domestic abuse situations.
  • Mankind. Their confidential helpline is available for all men across the UK suffering from domestic violence or domestic abuse by their current or former wife or partner (including same-sex partner). Call 01823 334244 10am - 4pm, Monday to Friday.
  • National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse helpline run by Galop provides emotional and practical support for LGBT+ people experiencing domestic abuse. Call 0800 999 5428 10am – 5pm, Monday to Friday (open until 8pm on Wednesdays and Thursdays). 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened